Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Moving Gaga aka Grandfather Update

Well, life has been so busy here lately, but now that summer is dying down, I want to get back consistent in my blogging.  I thought I would start today by sharing an update on my grandfather. 

Many of you know that I'm very close to my grandfather whom I call Gaga.  He also has Alzheimer's and has had it for 14 years.  He had been in Marysville which is only about 15 minutes from us; however, due to some care issues, we moved him to Columbus Alzheimer's Care Center.  It has been a change for us.  He is farther away - twice the distance.  Plus we are now around all Alzheimer's/dementia patients.  We were used to most of the patients being "normal" versus seeing the memory loss in all.  Over time, I feel like this is going to become home.  They are very understanding of the memory issues and the related issues which is very helpful.

We had our first care conference this week which went really well.  They did something nice which most other facilities do not do.  The nursing aid who works directly with my grandfather was also included in the conference.  It was nice to get that specific hands on report.  So while the road has been rocky at times, he is overall holding his own, and we are adapting to the new place quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment