Thursday, February 4, 2010

What's Normal?

What began as a normal week quickly became not normal. Sunday, I went to town to do a bit of shopping for Momma's birthday which is on Shabbat (the 6th). I got home, we got a few things done as a family and then that evening I was enjoying instant messaging with a friend. My cell phone went off about 11pm, and it was the Assisted Living where my grandparents live. My Nana had not been feeling well since Wednesday, but we were thinking it was a medication mix up. Then on Friday, she was diagnosed with a UTI which can cause some of the symptoms she was experiencing (light confusion, shakiness, slurred voice, etc). Saturday night, she fell on top of this all. However, by Sunday night, her arm was going numb and her mouth was drawing up. So by then we knew it was a stroke. My mom and I jumped in the car and raced to the ER; my dad raced to be with my grandfather during this time. We were there with her in the ER from shortly after 11pm till about 6am. They did a CAT Scan, Urinalysis, and Blood Work. The Urinalysis and Blood Work came back fine; however, the CAT Scan showed “old mini strokes” which basically means they are not active currently. They scheduled an MRI for the next day as well as further testing and got her a room in the Stoke Unit at Riverside Hospital. After seeing that she was settled in about 6am on Monday morning, we went home and got about 4 hours of sleep and headed back to the hospital after making sure the animals at home were taken care of (the cow still has to be milked in the midst of all this!).

The MRI on Monday confirmed that my Nana (Lee) had a stroke. She is mostly affected in her swallowing, speech, and right side. She did not pass the swallowing test which means that she was aspirating food into her lungs. As a result, they planned to put in a feeding tube which was done today. She will also need skilled care and therapy for 6 - 10 weeks, so we are planning on discharge to a nursing home. We also are arranging some changes in my grandfather’s (Bud) care as he will need more care in assisted living with my grandma not being with him.

After the feeding tube was put in today, she seem to be feeling better and knowing that she can now get nourishment, definitely puts a bright spot back in place. She has not been able to eat since Sunday night. This has been a crazy week in between taking care of things at home, being with Nana, making sure she is receiving the care she needs and deserves, making sure Gaga is okay, and keeping up with work as best as possible.

We decided to take my grandfather back to the Assisted Living each night in order to maintain his routine for him which is key for people with Alzheimer's. My dad volunteered to spend the night with him and did so from Sunday night until last night. Then he would get up and make sure he was taken care of in the morning, come home and milk the cow, get a few things done at home, be at the hospital with us, milk the cow in the evening, and go back with Gaga at night. He was so willing to serve and be a blessing. Tonight is the first night that he won't be with him as we have a snowstorm coming in and need Daddy here at home with us. However, he is still gone right now making sure Gaga is okay tonight as well as taking Nana some clothes in case she is discharged before we can get to her. They could go ahead and discharge her and take her by medical transport as planned on Saturday, and with the 4-8" of snow we are supposed to get tomorrow morning thru Saturday morning, travel might be treacherous. We might not be able to get to the hospital...we pray not. As Timothy so wisely put, "Jocelin, there aren't many men like your Father. You are going to be hard pressed to find a young man like him." But I expect Him to be just like my Daddy!

We have received so many sweet notes as well as calls...and the prayer warriors have been a HUGE blessing! Beau called while we were in the ER as he knew what was going on, and he and his mom got the Messianic prayer groups activated immediately. Donna got the B'nai Shalom (Monte's Congregation) Prayer Team activated...and Dr. Scotty who leads that group has been keeping in touch. So many co-workers from Crown have e-mailed. My boss, John, got my key coaches praying right after I called him on our way to the hospital. My two closest girlfriends, Ellie and Maria, have been praying and they and their families keeping in touch. My coaches who I had appointments with this week after seeing the prayer request, e-mailed me to let me know they wanted me to reschedule for sometime after the crisis was past, and they didn't expect me to keep the appointment this week. That was so thoughtful! Then a friend from the Mennonite church, Carolyn, came by for a surprise visit at the hospital. Her hugs were such a blessing and encouragement when we needed them. Then other special friends - Dean, Linda, and John E - keeping in touch and many who I'm not naming.

It has been interesting to see that some of those we would have "expected" to be supportive haven't been, but support has come from some very unexpected avenues. Yahweh has truly given us the grace and mercy we needed to get through this. I never would have thought I could have survived on 4 hours of sleep for a 40 hour period, but I did! It has also made us realize that when we know someone who has a loved one in the hospital some things that we could do such as pray, call them every day or two, go visit them and their loved one, fix a meal, take care of their animals, etc.

As we find a new normal and adjust to what life is like now, I praise Yah that in the midst of the storms of life He never changes!!!! Halleluyah!

No comments:

Post a Comment